Saturday, May 3, 2008

I'm a tourist in my own country (prelude to "dimanakah bangsaku")

To those who works, lives or study in the Klang Valley, would've realised about the service industry here. I remembered early this year or was it late last year... while i was navigating thru the Pavilion (new shopping mall in Bkt Bintang area) for the very first time. Being an ardent fan of burgers... I was hunting for Carl's JR. Heard from a friend it's here in Pavilion. Used to travel all the way from Tmn Maluri to One Utama just for a SuperStar double cheeseburger. Back to the story... I saw this security guard & asked him for the information counter. He pointed the way... without uttering a word. So, I assume he understand. So...I followed his directions... & realised I was at a dead end. Haram jadah..... so... I turned back & asked the guard again in BM this time. "itu information counter ada dimana?" He seems dumbfounded. And i realised he's not local. So, I asked in english again..."Where's the information counter?" He said... "u go straight there & go up" I asked "which floor"? He just say "up" twice.... meaning 2 floors up??? I asked where is he from, coz he looks local to me, like a malay but he answered... NEPAL. Fine.... off i go on my hunt for CJr..... When I reached the 2nd floor... the place are filled with hoardings... bloody hell.... where am i? Saw another guard... he looks local too... so i asked in malay.... his reaction shows he aint local. He said he's unsure.... so i asked him directly... whether does he knows a fast food burger restaurant here? He said yes!!! woohoooo!!! He said go down again... & walked towards the entrace... in broken english. So.. off i go.... BUT!!! when i reached the destination... theres a huge poster on the hoarding that says... Opening Soon! Bloody helll..... All that headless chicken mode for nothin. Why cant we have local security guards that could speak our BAHASA IBUNDA??? At least english? I felt as if I'm a tourist in my own country.

Had a similar incident at Santini's Suria KLCC. Called on the waiter to take my orders. I spoke in BM as the guy looks like a malay... biasalah kan... i expect people in service line must know BM & English at least! He just smiled when I asked for recommendations. Dlm hati aku.... apahal mamat ni senyum cam kerang busuk? Paham ke tak? So i spoke in english... baru lahhhh dia paham.....oooooohh a Filipino rupanya! Here's another incident... how people.. the employers, disregard the importance of having people to speak in BM in their establishment. Why? Is it because Bahasa Melayu is a class below? Is it too expensive to employ local people? Are the quality of service from our locals are poor? Why is KFC filled with Banglas? Why are most of the security guards are gurkhas? Why are the petrol attendants mostly nepalese? To the most astonishing of all.... why Petaling Street sellers are not local??? Nak tawar-menawar pun susah. It's suppose to be tourist attraction.... malu lahhhh.

When I send my car for service at Perodua...filled with banglas...kenapa? rakyat m'sia tak suka tangan comot lagi dah ke? Jatuh ke maruah diri jadi mekanik? Bila ke hotel... penuh dgn pekerja filipino... kenapa? katanya rakyat m'sia penuh dgn budi bahasa? kenapa tak buktikan di sini? pergi ke kedai mamak pun skrg dah payah.... nak cakap BM pun terpaksa jadi bahasa pasar/rojak... baru pekerja2 situ paham...sbb semuanya pekerja dari India! Ramai yg tertipu sbb ingatkan mereka local indians. Apa niiiiii??? Is this a taste of globalization???

Dimanakah bangsaku berada? Ke manakah mereka? Adakah bangsaku berada di "atas" sana? Adakah semua bangsaku memiliki post "directors, managers, CEOs..dll"? Adakah bangsaku merasa jijik, geli ataupun malu utk "Turun ke Padang"?

....(to be continued)

1 comment:

julia.h said...

seriously agree wit u on this k'ry... believe me or not... when a friend went looking 4 job in hotel's sector, they claim theres no vacancy but hiring a filipinos instead on the very same day. talking about qualification.. bullshit as the filipinos seriously dun speak english or malay well. wondering wat country is this? but just couldnt blame on our malay for dun want to get their hands dirty, but its the trends nowadays where malaysian employer... just dun hire a malaysian employee anymore..